September is almost upon us and with that our focus shifts to discussing heart health.
The ongoing pandemic is a concern for many with heart problems. It is even more concerning to have an underlined disease and in some case not know that you have a heart problem. It is always advisable to have a heart-healthy lifestyle.
One of the major factors that contribute to a healthy heart is keeping your weight in check and control habits that will make you overweight. It is said so because obesity will increase your risk of heart issues. It can also lead to diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers. Watch your weight regularly on the scale and maintain a BMI (Body Mass Index) between 18.5-24.9.
Here are remedies you can include in your daily life to maintain a healthy lifestyle and optimal heart health:
Arjuna Bark Powder
Studies have shown that it protects the heart because it has cardio-protective properties. It strengthens the heart muscles leading to the proper functioning of the organ. It has an anti-hypertensive property that is known to control the levels of high blood pressure by reducing them.
It is rich in antioxidants that can fight free radicals responsible for heart diseases among others. Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is the chief antioxidant present in green tea that helps fight toxins generated from numerous physiological processes and the digestion of foods. Clinical studies have proven that it reduces the risks of Types 2 Diabetes and heart problems.
One of India’s most loved spice and a staple in many Indian dishes, Turmeric is known to have the active ingredient curcumin. It has powerful properties that can protect the heart muscle. It also the contributing factor to the yellow colour of the spice. Numerous studies show that curcumin has anti-inflammatory and cancer properties. It also has antioxidant properties. It is also known to affect the thinning of the blood because of its antithrombotic properties. Heart attacks occur due to the narrowing of the blood vessels. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that help combat this by reducing inflammation.
A common spice in Indian cuisine, Ginger has many cardiovascular benefits as shown in clinical studies.
- Lowers Cholesterol – Various studies have shown that the regular consumption of Ginger reduces bad cholesterol – LDL Cholesterol. Additionally, it also increases the level of good cholesterol – HDL Cholesterol.
- Controls Blood Sugar – Diabetes is a risk factor causing heart ailments. High blood sugar levels are known to damage blood vessels and narrow the arteries causing heart failure and attacks. Ginger is a popular herbal remedy as clinical studies have proven that daily consumption of ginger supplements help reduce fasting blood sugar and lower blood sugar values by consistent long use.
It is a favourite vegetable of many. Capsicum has an active ingredient known as capsaicin that is responsible for the spicy taste of the vegetable. In a study held in 2015, it was found that Capsaicin may have heart benefitting properties. It was found that it controlled blood pressure, lowered sugar levels and reduced the stress on heart muscles. It also showed that it could reduce muscle thickness, helps in body weight loss and slow the process of atherosclerosis.
It is also known as Allium sativum, is an agent with numerous therapeutic benefits. Garlic dates back to Egyptian times. In those days garlic was used to help with conditions related to worms, tumours and in some situations heart diseases. Garlic is not only rich in carbohydrates but also nutrients such as potassium, phosphorus, zinc and vitamin A and B-complex. Other benefits include:
- Lowers Cholesterol – Cholesterol is a common cause of heart diseases. Cholesterol occurs in the liver with a process of synthesis influenced by an enzyme called hedging giclée reductase. Garlic has a compound that helps block this enzyme and reduces the synthesis of cholesterol levels in the liver.
- Reduces Stickiness of Blood Cells – Blood clots are another common issue for heart attacks. The blood cells called platelets stick together and form a clot called a thrombus. Studies have proven that garlic consumption can help reduce the stickiness of blood cells and consequently prevent clotting.
- Controls Blood Pressure – High blood pressure can increase the risk of a heart attack. Garlic is found to change elements that cause a sudden change in blood pressure. Therefore, it is a good ingredient to control blood pressure and prevent heart problems.
- Reduces Oxidative Stress: Oxidative stress means the free radicals that cause damage to the heart arteries. A study conducted with patients with high blood pressure were given garlic pearls as a regular supplement. They found that it not only reduced blood pressure but also lowered oxidative stress significantly.
Many remedies can be applied to obtain a healthy heart. Mainly a balanced diet and a fitness regime will lead to good health. Adopt these ingredients and help your loved one as well to overcome these issues.