As we have moved to level 2 and we all have our favourite beverages back, it is apt to discuss Liver & Gallbladder Health this week.
Function of The Liver & Gallbladder
The liver and gallbladder are the two accessory organs of the gastrointestinal tract, which carry out a multifunctional role that aids digestion and homeostasis. The liver consists of several lobes and receives its blood supply mainly from the hepatic portal vein. This organ also detoxifies the body, so take good care of it because it is your best friend while celebrating special events.
Anatomy of Liver & Gallbladder
Liver consists of:
- diaphragmatic surface
- visceral surface,
- right lobe
- left lobe
- caudate lobe
- quadrate lobe
- Gallbladder consists of:
- extrahepatic biliary tract
Biology of The Liver & Gallbladder
- Jaundice (a yellowish discoloration of the skin and whites of the eyes)
- Cholestasis (reduction or stoppage of bile flow)
- Hepatomegaly (liver enlargement)
- Portal hypertension (abnormally high blood pressure in the veins that bring blood from the intestine to the liver)
- Ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity)
- Hepatic encephalopathy (deterioration of brain function due to buildup of toxic substances normally removed by the liver)
- Hepatitis – A virus, particularly one of the five major hepatitis viruses—A, B, C, D, or E
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Use of certain drugs, such as isoniazid (used to treat tuberculosis)
- Liver failure
- Gallstones that pass out of the gallbladder into the ducts
- Injury to the bile ducts during gallbladder surgery
- Narrowing of the bile ducts caused by factors such as AIDS-related infections and primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Tumours in the pancreas, gallbladder, or bile ducts
- Infestation by parasites
- Cholecystitis is inflammation of the gallbladder, usually resulting from a gallstone blocking the cystic duct.
Love Your Liver, Keep Your Gallbladder!
Balanced Healing can assist you with a personalised lifestyle plan to optimise your Liver & Gallbladder Health.
If you require more information or treatment of your Liver or gallbladder.
Contact Sr Bridget Spargo @ 083 653 7470 or Email: email@example.com to book an appointment.